Saturday, July 05, 2008

Would you buy technical fruit for your family?

Filed under:

OK, do you remember a picture from a few years back of a mouse that had been genetically modified to sport a human ear? I do not remember how I came across it, but I do know that it's been permanently seared into my brain ever since, much to my chagrin. Turns out the picture was not totally what it appeared to be, but it was highly disturbing nonetheless.

I think it was around that time that I started focusing on my food, looking for organic stuff and regarding anything "genetically altered" with suspicion and a tinge of terror. My parents have an apple tree at their cabin, "grafted" to grow several different kinds of apples on one tree, and even that skeeves me. So I'm not sure what to make of the news that the Japanese have created a chocolate-strawberry hybrid.

Using "infusion technology", scientists have managed to infuse the garden-variety strawberry with chocolate, a new type of "composite food. And it's not just strawberries -- there are apples infused with wine, too! The possibilities are endless, but I'm still dubious. I think I'd prefer my pears without filling, and so would my kid. Why must we mess with everything, I wonder?
Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments