Monday, August 11, 2008

One month to go: must-haves for a second baby

Filed under: Pregnancy and Birth, 0-3 months, Infant / First yearLet it be known I have officially started panicking about the impending birth of my second child; specifically, the fact that I have known about this kid's arrival timeline since JUNE and here I am with ONE MONTH to go, and I haven't done anything to prepare.Well, that's not strictly true: we did get Riley out of his room and into his new bedroom, which hinged on completing a large-scale home remodel that lasted for seven months and nearly drove me insane, so there's that. And now he's happily sleeping in his big kid bed, which is a giant relief for me.However, I still haven't laid out his old baby clothes, his old room is a wreck (less of a problem since the baby will probably be sleeping close to us for a while before moving to the crib), we have basically zero baby supplies on hand . . . I've got some serious nesting to take care of over here, people.Here's what I'm thinking I absolutely need to have at the ready:o. Carseat (our old one is currently in the garage, covered in sawdust -- getting it out and cleaned up sounds like a good Husband Task, doesn't it?)o. Newborn-sized diapers (I personally like the Swaddlers brand)o. Assortment of onesies etc -- I'm pretty sure I'm well covered on the clothing front, just need to get them out of storage and launder themo. Eighty hojillion washcloths, because Spit Happens. I have a giant pile of these things, but I bet I should get some moreo. Double-check to make sure I have a good working thermometer, infant nail clippers, newborn-sized snot suckero. Swaddling blanketsCan you think of anything else that's mission-critical? I have other things that were useful with Riley when he was very small, like a bouncy seat, mobile, sleep sacks, etc, but as far as stuff you want on hand for when the baby comes home from the hospital, I'm thinking the must-have list is actually pretty short. "Sanity" would be nice, but I guess you can't buy that ahead of time from Babies R Us.Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments