Sunday, August 24, 2008

The ever-changing due date

Filed under: Pregnancy and Birth, MomsWhen Rachel first realized she was pregnant, she used the due date calculator at BabyCenter.com to figure out when the kid would show up. Based on the date of the first day of her last menstrual period (or LMP -- I had no idea there was even a common abbreviation for that!) the calculator came up with a date of May 8th, 2008.When she visited her gynecologist, however, the doctor came up with a different date -- May 11. I'm not sure what criteria she used that would be different from the website, but given that she's been doing this for a very long time and is regarded as one of the best, I would be inclined to trust her judgment on this.I am, however, very much a believer in science and given top notch diagnostic tools, I appreciate the unemotional calculations that such equipment are capable of. At Rachel's first ultrasound, the technician took some measurements (or whatever it is they do) and came up with yet another date -- May 2nd. So now, I have no idea when the little one will actually show up.I suggested to Rachel that she keep her legs crossed until May 27th -- my dad's birthday -- but she didn't seem to like that idea. So who do we listen to? Whose date is correct? I guess when it really comes down to it, there is only one person's calculation that matters -- the kid's.Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments