Thursday, August 14, 2008

One instance where the movie is better than the book

Filed under: Toddler, DVDs and Videos, Adventures in ParentingBesides my son, reading might be the single greatest joy in my life. That sounds kind of incredibly pathetic, but wait a minute: there is nothing better than a new book waiting beside a steaming cup of honeyed tea beside an opened-up bed, sheets crisp and cool and the window slightly open to let in the sounds of rain and night. I'd rather read a new book than see a new movie, except perhaps in the case of a truly killer documentary.Until recently, I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was quite as good as the book version. It makes sense: the images, voices, and theatre I create in my own mind will always be more meaningful to me than someone else's version. For that reason, I don't usually watch the movie versions of my favourite books. Whenever I've had, I've ended up sorely disappointed.But lo, there is a an exception and it is Disney. I bought Nolan a hardcover Disney picture book at Costco upon his grubby, reaching-fingered request. The book is a trilogy of Finding Nemo, Toy Story, and Monsters Inc. and I dread it every time he asks for it. The stories, they make no sense! Key elements seem to be removed, and the stories flip awkwardly from one scene to the other...perhaps because the movie came before the book. Nolan loves the pictures but I find that reading the stories is incredibly arduous.I was so pleasantly surprised when I watched Finding Nemo for the first time -- based on the children's book, I'd thought it would be bunk. Same with Toy Story, which I watched this weekend. I can't believe I've been missing out on these animated films -- I'd watch them even if Nolan weren't around. Anyway,Toy Story the movie was awesome, the children's book version tedious. Two lessons learned:1) In the case of Disney, choose the movie over the book2) Avoid all aisles touting glossy Disney books at Costco.Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments