Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Help with your "Be More Organized" resolution

Filed under: Gear, Child's room decor, Likes and dislikes, BrandsFirst off, I'd like to say that I am not a paid sponsor of The Container Store, but it would be a dream job for me. Last year in an organizational fit, I ordered the Elfa Closet System during their January sale. It was seriously the best money I spent all year long. The utility closet in my laundry area (more of a "laundry hall" than "laundry room" and I curse who ever built this house with every sidestep approach to the washer and dryer I make, but that's another story) consisted of a rod for clothes with a narrow, high shelf above. This meant the vacuum cleaner, broom, cleaning & laundry supplies, and everything I needed to easily access sat on the floor in a jumbled heap of clutter and curses. After giving the Elfa angels the measurements they requested and listing everything I needed to cram store in this area, the designers diagrammed and charted the best way to make the space work for me. They even called after sending me a layout to see if I had any questions or concerns and held my hand and walked me through the entire process! When everything arrived, cut to the specifications of my space, my husband and I put the entire closet together in about an hour and then sat back and marveled. It's amazing how a well-organized space makes it feel like you've increased the square footage of your home. And the beauty of the Elfa system is that everything in interchangeable, so when kids grow, it's easy to reconfigure the closet to accomodate longer and larger items, making it a one-time purchase. I vowed to organized one closet every year during the big sale and it is that time of year again. This time, with the help of the Elfa design team, I will master the Master closet, a deja vu of the utility one: a rod with high shelf and loads of wasted space. Is it sad that I'm more excited about this than I was about Christmas?! In the gallery are shots of my Utility/Cleaning Stuff/Kid Stuff closet and well-designed kid spaces from the Elfa site. %Gallery-12496%Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments