Sunday, August 31, 2008

How do single mothers provide good male role models?

Filed under: Dads, Teenager, 15-19 years, Parental relationships, Peer pressureAs a single mother raising a son, I have always been concerned about having good male role models in my son's life. Even though his father and I had our differences, I was glad that my son knew him because I had always worried about that "void" my son would feel if he had never met his father.With the death of his father last year, I continue to be concerned as my son gets older. He is at a very impressionable age, going through the teen years, where he needs to have strong men to look to as role models.I try to point out examples of good and bad behavior in news stories, the behavior of people we know and the behavior of others, such as celebrities. I know that he is well informed on topics such as being respectful to women, among other things, but I worry that there are things he might be missing that a good strong male in his life could provide.If you are the single mother of a son, do you have other men in your life who are good role models for your son? If not, how do you provide your son with good examples of male behavior?Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments