Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What would you do if your child proved to be a gifted athlete at a young age?

Filed under: , , ,

While we were riding the lift to the top of the ski slope last weekend, I'd hold my breath each time someone would shred up the triple black diamond run below us, certain I'd witness their death on the sheer cliffs of ice and rock and vertical drop. I mean, I still experience heart-pounding fear doing a particularly steep section of a blue square run.

And then suddenly, over the top of the cliff came two little kids.

They couldn't possibly have been older than ten, and quite possibly a good deal younger. They were wearing cute little pink and blue snowsuits and matching helmets. They were flawless. And fearless.

Watching them it suddenly dawned on me that, oh dear god, my kid could be one of those kids in a couple of years.

And then I started to think about what I'd do if my son proved to be a gifted athlete in a year or two. There is so much pressure in the field of sports--and so many questionable practices (doping, steroids, etc.) A part of me thinks that for a child to really excel at a sport they'd have to give up some part of their childhood. But then I think, what if my kid really did have that kind of talent? Who would I be to stop them from chasing their dream?

So I'm wondering, what would you do if your kid proved to be a gifted athlete at a young age?

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments