Monday, June 16, 2008

Man gives in-laws big winning lottery ticket

Filed under:

Most every year, I buy some scratch-off lottery tickets to put in all the Christmas stockings. This year was no exception and after all the gifts were opened, we set about scratching off our tickets. As usual, none of them were big winners. I think Christy got a whopping $4 and I got my usual nothing.

But what if one of them was a big winner and it wasn't mine? Say, for example, the ticket I put in my mother's stocking ended up having a million dollar payoff? Of course it would be really cool if mom suddenly came into a bunch of money and I have no doubt she would share. But after all the losing tickets I have purchased for myself, picking a winner for someone else might make me feel a little cheated.

This Pittsburgh man knows exactly what it feels like to give away a winning lottery ticket. He bought a $20 ticket for the Pennsylvania Lottery as a Christmas gift for his in-laws and it turned out to be worth $1 million! Merry Christmas indeed!

Fred DePasquale isn't identifying his wife's parents, but has said that he has no intention of asking them to give the ticket back. He says that would be like giving someone a shirt for Christmas and asking to wear it on New Year's Eve. That might be a bit of an understatement, but clearly DePasquale values his marriage and the relationship he has with his in-laws. Regardless of how he really feels about losing out on all that money, he hasn't been left completely empty-handed. Because he bought the ticket at the pharmacy he owns, he gets a $5000 payment.
Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments