Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The new pomegranate?

Filed under: ,

Every so often, it seems, we're breathlessly marketed the newest and greatest-ever power food -- cancer-fighting apples, anti-oxidant rich pomegranates. In the last year or so, pomegranates were everywhere in my supermarket -- in thickly purple cleansing drinks, listed as a crucial ingredient in All Things Healthy. I like pomegranates, so I hopped right on the bandwagon, but I wonder, is there a new miracle fruit in town?

I've recently become a vegetarian, and though I haven't yet given up all dairy (although tomorrow might be the day, now that I've finished reading The China Study), I've been buying vegan alternatives to dairy-rich desserts in an effort to test the water. At Whole Foods last weekend, Nolan and I picked up a pint of Sambazon Acai sorbet. I had no idea what I was picking up, it looked like delicious strawberry sorbet to me, but after we sampled a small dish this afternoon....omigod, yummm, I read the package to discover more, because the icy deliciousness might just become my New Rice Pudding.

According to the package, the acai fruit (it has accents not available on my keyboard), is grown in the Amazon rain forest and has more antioxidants than both blueberries and pomegranates. Additionally, says the carton, it has loads of Omega fats, protein, and dietary fibre. Now, I realize this is the carton, a marketing tool for the company, but a google search on the berry confirms that it might be a very good staple to add to the family diet. I'm in.
Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments