Monday, June 23, 2008

Two-drink limit for parents

Filed under: , , , ,

In the UK, a chain of pubs has decided to implement a two-drink limit for parents accompanied by their children. The idea is to limit the amount of time kids are hanging around the pub with nothing to do. "Once parents have finished the meal with the child, we would expect them to leave soon after," said Eddie Gershon, spokesman for the JD Wetherspoon chain.

Not everyone likes the policy, however. One group of visitors -- seven adults and a two-year-old child -- got upset at being cut off, especially since the child's mother was only drinking water. "I was furious. We left. It was embarrassing not to be served," said Stephen Gandy, a member of the party.

Actually, it doesn't sound like a bad plan to me. I know that over the course of a meal, two drinks would be nothing for me, but for many people, that's a significant amount of alcohol. Even if it isn't, I don't think it's such a terrible hardship. If you really want to settle in for a night of drinking, it seems to me you might want to get a babysitter anyway. Or, find a pub that offers childcare.
Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments