Monday, January 07, 2008

What you know and can't know about birth

Filed under: , ,

Riley's birth was kind of a whirlwind of unexpected events: a normal prenatal appointment at 37 weeks revealing worrisome blood pressure readings, a trip to the hospital, many hours of failed labor inducement, many more hours of magnesium sulfate, an eventual C-section resulting-thank god-in a perfect baby boy.

I'm scheduled for another C-section with this baby, mostly because I didn't want to deal with all the bother of labor and I heard vaginal deliveries can make your girl parts floppy, so I requested the surgery.

(. . .)

Oh god of course that's not true, I just wanted to send any particularly frothy-mouthed readers straight to the comments so the rest of us could have a normal conversation. The C-section is a result of some medical issues specific to my situation, yes I've heard of VBACs and in my case the surgery is the safer option, now you have the whole story.

Anyway, assuming there are no Unusual Events that happen beforehand that change the outcome of this birth, our second baby will be born under predictable conditions: don't eat the night before, go in and have midsection hacked wide open with a bandsaw (or, you know, however it works), baby is produced, all will rejoice-then, the inevitable Have You Had a BM questions, the pain of lurching around like Quasimodo while the abdomen is held together with staples, the eventual furious itch of a healing C-section scar.

But of course all births are unpredictable, and as the wise saying goes, Shizz Happens. I've started expanding my anxiety sphere from Oh My Gosh How Will I Care For Two Small Children to Oh My Gosh What If Something Awful Happens During the Birth. I power-worry about everything from what if I barf during the surgery to the unthinkable, the things you can't type or say out loud.

I guess it's par for the course, no matter how much you prepare, the miracle of birth is always just that: a miracle. There's nothing everyday about it. Every time, it's an amazing production, and I suppose it's only right that it deserves some held-breath anticipation.
Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments