Saturday, October 27, 2007

As I Promised... The Story of Baby Deuce

April 26th was a happy day for James and I. It was confirmed that we were pregnant. We immediately knew what his name was. James just KNEW the baby was a boy! We decided to name him after him; James Seth- We'd call him "Deuce", as he would be the second. (Deuce means "2")

As the months went on, on occasion, I'd ask James what time it was, or he would ask me. The time would often be---"something": 11.

In other words, it could be 1:11, 2:11, 3:11, 4:11, 5:11, 6:11, 7:11, 8:11, 9:11, 10:11, 11:11, or 12:11.

This happened often enough to where it was recognized! It started to happen strangely! We could be sitting and watching television, and he or I would look casually at the cable box, and it would be 8:11!!! We would be in the car and he or I would need know the time and it was and it would be 10:11!! This went on continuously. We began to see this a good 4-6 times within a day.

One of the times, James said, "This is Deuce, Deuce!" Ever since we adopted the number 11 as Deuce! Deuce means "2". One and one is two.

This continued for months!! Every time this happened, we'd get all excited and shout, "Deuce Booty!" or "Deuce, Deuce!" And I'd rub my belly and smile.

On September 13, 2007, our Deuce Booty was removed from my belly by emergency c-section. When I woke up from surgery, I heard a baby cry. The nurse was in my room. I said drowsily, "Is that my baby?" She said, "No, that's another woman's baby in the room on the other side of the curtain."

I felt so sad. I hadn't seen my baby. I hadn't held him. I hadn't heard him cry. I kept asking for my son and I was being told that I'd have to wait because he was being stabilized. They were preparing to send him to a more experienced hospital that specializes in premature babies.

I felt so empty. It was only James and I and boy did we worry about our son. James couldn't even see him. Through the rest of the day and through the night, our spirits continued to be brighter when we'd spontaneously see "something":11.

When I was released from the hospital, and was able to begin seeing my baby boy at the new hospital, the "something":11's continued. By now, it was so regular to us that we'd announce it in the middle of conversation, smile, and continue on.

As you may know, Deuce did very well in the hospital. He was a trooper. It's pretty clear. But if you are a NICU parent, or Preemie parent, you know that there are very scary moments. His first scary moment was his VAD surgery. I posted about that and it was awesome because his bedside was number 11. YAY! Before his surgery, I was at his bedside typing on my laptop. The log that I typed AFTER that surgery ended at 4:11 pm, so there-you have witnessed it. I looked at the clock, and that's what time it was.

Deuce was then transported back to his regular hospital and we continued to spend time with him, and continued to recognize the number "11". It was in the time, and in other random things.

On Monday, October 15th, we received a devastating call. They were preparing to transport Deuce back to the surgical hospital. They said he developed NEC and he had a perforation in his intestine. He would need surgery. I asked when they would be transporting him. They said the transport team would be on their way as soon as they received my verbal consent over the telephone. I consented.

When Deuce arrived at the hospital, the nurse explained many things to me and gave me information of his transport condition and details like visiting hours and his bedside number. That conversation devastated me even more.

Deuce's condition there deteriorated quickly. James and I felt helpless. We couldn't help our son. Still unable to hold him, we couldn't protect him. We prayed, and many of you prayed as well. We had strength from all over the world for Deuce. So many people loved this miracle baby. We had our family by our side, especially our parents, and the number "11". We soon began receiving extra doses positive energy from the number "11" as it showed up in other forms. We noticed that we'd randomly look at the clock, and it would be 5:33. We'd add up the numbers. 5+3+3 equals "11"!! We still would see it, in and out of the hospital--regularly. By now, "11" was like a part of the family. It made us smile, it gave us hope.

Patrice Walker is a preemie mom who enjoys sharing her son Deuce's story with the world. Finish this incredible true story on her blog: http://www.shareyourstory.org/webx/.ef4ab05/
Email: info@thepatricecompany.com